My Blog List

Sunday, October 5, 2014

News- The Good, the Bad, and the Strange


When you're a news reporter, you never know where your day is going to take you. This is a standup reflecting one of the more unique stories I helped to investigate.

When I interned with WFTV News in Orlando this past summer, I shadowed reporters on stories ranging from LGBT awareness, to murders, to...people siphoning gas from gas tanks.

For this particular story, some person was drilling holes in city vehicles to make away with "free" gasoline. In reality, they were getting (maybe) up to $14 worth of gasoline, but causing hundreds...maybe even thousands of dollars worth of damage. Not to mention they were wasting time and probably money on the tools and means necessary to make the heist.

The question is, who would go through that much trouble? Surely this method of stealing gas is not nearly as cost-effective as just purchasing that amount of gas at the gas station.

Sometimes I wonder what goes through people's minds. But on the flip-side, quirky stories like these are what make the job interesting. These stories are the ones that I particularly love sharing, because they stand out from all the rest.

And to be honest, given my craving for variety and distaste for boredom, I love the idea of occasionally being sent out to cover this flavor of news. But to the unknown gas thief (if you're still out there), please stay away from my car!

No comments:

Post a Comment