My Blog List

Sunday, October 19, 2014

An Embarrassing Loss, and a Disappointing Win

Last night was nearly a blowout for my beloved Florida Gators. We were favored by five points to beat the Mizzou Tigers, and instead, they slaughtered us with a final score of 42-14.

So what is a Gator fan to do when football stinks and there isn't much of anywhere else to turn? The answer is to turn on the Florida State game, of course. If we can't win, maybe, just maybe we can take solace in the fact that our rival team will be taken down with us.

I had heard that they were just barely keeping up with the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame during their halftime. So I turned on the game and patiently watched the back-and-forth until the clock ticked down to the last two minutes of the fourth quarter.

With less than one minute left in the game, it looked like there was a game-changing moment, when Notre Dame completed a Touchdown pass and took the lead. For all of ten seconds I was bursting with joy. But then...the flag was thrown.

Until I read this article about the Notre Dame pass interference call, I believed that the call was in poor taste. Although of course part of this came from the bitter feelings I have always harbored toward Florida State, I also did not see anything wrong with the play.

This article broke it down with images and explanations as to why the call was the right one. And no sign of loyalty toward Florida State or Notre Dame was present. So begrudgingly, I now agree with the decision.

Now as far as where this fits in with "sports news", as I mentioned in my news and sports post, I feel that the heat and debate about the game will be ephemeral. Even I, as a Gator fan and an anti-Seminole advocate, believe that this news was only huge in the moment, and the sting that I am feeling from this Seminole win (and Gator loss) will dull over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment